Re: Matrox Millenium G550 - good choice?

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 21:21:44 +0100, Christof Damian <christof@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, 03 Feb 2005, Ian Pilcher wrote:
> > The time has come to replace my aging Matrox Millennium G200 AGP.  I've
> > been quite happy with it, so I'm considering the G550 as a
> > replacement.
>
> I have been using the G550 since FC1 (or RH9 ?) and have been very
> happy with it. My priorities were:
>
> * works with fedora out of the box
> * no fan (i had lots of other cards failing with broken fans)
> * a bit of opengl

I've had problems using the binary HAL driver necessary to get the DVI
head to function so that I could plug it into my TV.  Around FC2 the
driver just behaved badly when the xorg xserver change came along.
Sometimes it would work, sometimes not.  Sometimes it would take 1-2
minutes to initialize.  This may have all been fixed by now, but I've
switched to using a low end Nvidia Quattro card.  Just like the G550
it is fanless, but the DVI works great with the nv driver, openGL is
good also with the nvidia driver.

--
Jed