Re: Linux and SpyWare?

Do a search on google for chkrootkit, it is a script you can run with
the command

./chkrootkit

and it scans your sytem for vulnerabilities.  Spyware is generally
known to try to make file changes; therefore it reports back on
whether things have been altered.

Also nmap is a good one to run on your local system, but I understand
it is a serious hacking tool and not one that you want to run over the
internet unless you want to get a knock on your door.  It is not
really spyware specific, but will let you know if you have ports that
are open (kinda related though donchathink).   LOL

To run it at home you would just do

#  nmap -p 1-65535 localhost

and it will scan your ports.  If you are like me you should come back
with about five standard ones open, and also one in the 32,000 range
that Red Hat/Fedora uses for something (forgot).

Between the two apps, that is at least a start. From what I understand
it is possible that some new malware/spyware/whatever, could possibly
be loaded as a module straight into the kernel!  I am not sure that
this is true -- I haven't had any huge problems with compromised Linux
boxes, but I sure don't want to find out.

Later
Marc