Re: How can i find out, what files a RPM is provding?

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 19:41:54 -0600, Gain Paolo Mureddu
<gmureddu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> What about rpm -qpl /path/to/package.rpm?

-qpl will show you the files that are provided by a package which is
yet uninstalled.

This doesn't really help the original poster. He already has the file
on his system, he just wants to know which package it came from.

I think the larger issue here is that if the file is installed on his
system as a result of doing a straight build rather than through
installation of a package, then the rpm queries may not help since
they will refer to RPMs internal database. That data is only updated
when RPM transactions occur, and if he did a straight build, he didn't
use RPM to install it.

He specifically mentions the file name "Tar.pm" and says that he's
sure it must have been installed using RPM via yum. And basically he
was simply asking two questions:

1> Is Tar.pm installed on my system, and
2> Which package installed it.

The answer to question 1 can be found by using locate. If need be, run
updatedb first to update the locate database, and then use "locate
Tar.pm" to find any matches.

The answer to the second question can be found by using my original
solution, "rpm -q --whatprovides /path/to/Tar.pm" (and of course use
the correct path).

If it was truly installed via RPM, then the RPM data would maintain
the information about which package installed it.