Re: Fwd: How can i find out, what files a RPM is provding?

David Hoffman wrote:
On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 09:03:30 -0700 (GMT-07:00), James Mckenzie
<jjmckenzie51@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Don't you have to install an additional .rpm to get this functionality?  I had to, just in case the .rpm was not installed on my system.  Details are in the archive on installation of the appropriate files.

I've never heard that. The query function is a standard function of
RPM. If you have RPM installed (and you should) then you should be
able to perform any queries of your RPM packages.

Try rpm -? for additional help.

rpm -q  = query mode
--whatprovides is an argument to the query mode that tells RPM to look
at it's own data and tell you which packages provided a particular
file.

For example, I want to know what package I installed that provided me
with libmysqlclient.so.10:

rpm -q --whatprovides libmysqlclient.so.10

Then it gives me back an answer:
MySQL-shared-compat-4.1.9-0

So any file that is installed from an RPM package can be queried this
way to let you know which package installed the file.

I didn't have to add any additional packages to be able to do this
query -- or at least none that I intentionally added.

--

David
There are only 10 kinds of people in this world,

What about rpm -qpl /path/to/package.rpm?