Re: [GRUB]Resolution setup

Le Mardi 1 Février 2005 16:10, Thomas Cameron a écrit :
> [...]
Thanks Tom for your proposal ; here is my "grub.conf" file :
beginning of file---------------
default=0
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd1,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title Fedora Core (2.6.9-1.667)
        root (hd1,0)
        kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667 ro root=LABEL=/
        initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.9-1.667.img
        vga="791"

title Fedora Core (2.6.10-1.741)
        root (hd1,0)
        kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.10-1.741_FC3 ro root=LABEL=/
        initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.10-1.741_FC3.img
        vga="791"

title LILO
        root (hd0)
end of file---------------------

For your information :
(1) no problem with "791" video value as used in my LILO-Mandrake bootloader
on the same equipment.
(2) the last entry was a try to go back to my LILO stored on hda1 MBR but it
does not work ; you cannot create by analogy with GRUB ; you need to open a
book first !.

Some extra comments on GRUB / LILO comparison : when I started with Linux on
Mandrake I had to play with LILO configuration ; in a few minutes from
example you understand how to edit a new entry from an existing one that
works ; for GRUB apparently you need to be graduated from computer science
before achieving anything that has some chance to work ! ; how I ended up in
such bad situation : on my single CD Fedora installation session at one time
with Anaconda as I was not sure about some mishandling I selected "no GRUB
bootloader stored" and I built a specific direct entry from LILO to FC3
kernel bypassing GRUB : it worked fine to test my FC3 ; then I decided to use
my CD in an update session just to install properly the GRUB bootloader on
hdb1 which I did with the good parameters ; but as I did just this
modification I was punished by Anaconda that told me at the end of the
session "as you have not modified anything your bootloader will not be
modified !!" ; then with the help of someone from the list I used
"grub-install" command but this is not supposed to create a clean standard
"grub.conf" file from what is in place ; you have to edit it first which I
would assume a normal FC3 installation would have done in the first place !
Regards.

--
kernel 2.4                            / --- \