Re: Options For Installing Fedora To Older Laptop

akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I don't think you will have any problem installing FC-3
if you put in a new disk.
192MB RAM is plenty for this purpose.

Also I didn't notice FC-3 was any slower than FC-2;
Has someone said it is?

I'm running FC-3 now on a Sony C1VFK Picturebook with 128MB RAM.
(It used to have 256MB, but the extra memory has failed.)
This has a Crusoe 660MHz processor.

I'm also running FC-3 on a 300MHz Pentium II desktop with 128MB RAM.
I had no problem installing FC-3, but I must admit X is rather slow.

Both machines have plenty of disk-space.
(I installed a 60GB drive in my Picturebook.)

I don't know if FC3 is slower than FC-2 but they are both pretty slow
on a 128M RAM machine. X is certainly slow. But how about Open Office,
and firefox speed of opening. etc, etc, and so forth.  The swapping
alone can torment you endlessly.

FC3 may feel slower due to SELinux, if you disable it, FC3's actually faster than 2