Re: Options For Installing Fedora To Older Laptop

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 09:16:39 -0700
Craig White <craigwhite@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sun, 2005-01-30 at 17:46 +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> > On Sunday 30 January 2005 14:26, akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> > Actually, X is bearable, and so is Firefox,
> > on 128MB RAM which I have in the laptop I'm using now,
> > but OpenOffice is impossible.

> I think that there's been discussion about commenting out all of the
> unnecessary languages in the spell checker that will significantly speed
> things up - I don't have the archives up at the moment to search for
> them

That tip will lower the memory consumption of OOO by quite a lot if you're
in the habit of right-clicking a word for spelling hints.

I edited my dictionary list to just contain three lines:

$ cat /usr/lib/ooo-1.1/share/dict/ooo/dictionary.lst

DICT en US en_US
HYPH en US en_US
THES en US th_en_US

With the default (OOO 1.1.2 Fedora packages, because Fedora's 1.1.3
updates introduced a couple of printing bugs that were showstoppers for
me), right clicking a word to get spelling suggestions would make the
system start to swap and slow down - and this laptop is a P3/800 with
640M RAM.  I'm sure it would help out on a 128MB machine as well.

*  Charles Taylor <tomalek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
*  Chemistry instructor / Mad scientist / Linux enthusiast!
*  Web: http://home.mindspring.com/~charletiv/