Re: FC3 sucks. It takes up too much memory!

-----Original Message-----
From: Robin Laing <Robin.Laing@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Jan 31, 2005 8:29 AM
To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: FC3 sucks. It takes up too much memory!

Gain Paolo Mureddu wrote:
> James Mckenzie wrote:
>

>> James McKenzie
>> A Proud User of Linux!
>>

> What will it take for Sun to really look into their Linux (and Solaris
> for that matter) JavaVM. Currently the best performing JavaVM is the one
> for Microsoft systems and it is not even written by Sun!! (the Microsft
> JavaVM)
>

>But it isn't to the Java Standard.  MS lost the court battle over this
>one.

And, I think, they are or were prohibited from distributing their own JVM.  Of course, if Microsoft writes a 'compliant' JVM, it uses calls that are specific to their Operating System product and could not be used on Linux, Solaris, or any other Operating System.  I agree that the Sun supplied Java VM (or Java SDK) needs to be cleaned up as I end up with 'memory leaks' when I run a Java program (mainly a Java Torrent program that I use) because Java is not good at memory clean up (nor is C++ unless you allocate and deallocate memory dynamically.)  This could be much better, IMHO.

However, this has nothing to do with the OPs problems with FC3 using up memory and we could take this to another thread.

James McKenzie
A Proud User of Linux!