Re: Broadband???

Robert Storey wrote:

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 11:17:27 -0500
David Curry <dsccable@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Sam Varshavchik wrote:

Markus Huber writes:

Seng Lee wrote:

Can someone pls tell / teach me how to setup my broadband

connection>> using GNOME ( Fedora Core 3 ) because i can't seem to
get it to work>> by just configuring it with GNOME's built-in
internet connection>> wizard.... btw i'm a newbie with Linux/Fedora.
Thanks a milion.>

DSL? Cable?

Why should it matter, if you have a real Internet provider?

Well, it would certainly matter if he is using pppoe (as opposed to having a static address). Seng, we need more info - is your setup with a static address, or is it pppoe? Or for that matter, is it wireless (in which case wep or wpa comes into play). There's more than one kind of broadband - we need to know these little details before we can help.

cheers,
Robert

HELLO!!! As you edited/cropped the earlier messages Mr. Storey, you left the impression that I wrote the last item preceeding your text. MY contribution to the thread was in fact deleted in its entirety. That contribution read

Seng, I also had similar difficulties establishing a broadband connection when first installing Fedora Core, both with FC2 and FC3. My solution to the problem was to re-install and have Anaconda (the installer) activate network services on boot up with DHCP enabled. This was a drastic solution, perhaps, but it worked.

If one is more conversant in linuxeese, editing one's init.d file should provide another avenue to accomplish the same result without going through re-installation. You might consult the documentation available on your machine in /usr/share/doc/initscripts-<version-number> (through a browser use URL file:///usr/share/doc/initscripts) and download the RedHat Linux 9.0 documentation manuals available at RedHat's website.

I'll thank you to avoid misrepresentation of my statements! They may be dumb or wrong and if so I accept responsibility for those shortcomings, but I will not sit still for having statements by others attributed to me or having my statements misrepresented.