Re: Broadband???

Sam Varshavchik wrote:

Markus Huber writes:

Seng Lee wrote:

Can someone pls tell / teach me how to setup my broadband connection
using GNOME ( Fedora Core 3 ) because i can't seem to get it to work
by just configuring it with GNOME's built-in internet connection
wizard.... btw i'm a newbie with Linux/Fedora. Thanks a milion.

DSL? Cable?

Why should it matter, if you have a real Internet provider?

The best way to set up broadband is to use a real Internet provider, instead of a provider of some proprietary network technology who offers some clunky, custom-made hardware, and buggy Windows drivers as the only means of access.

With a real Internet provider, you'll get an ordinary Ethernet port. You can use any network card supported in Linux, plug in an ordinary cable, enter the IP address your provider assigned to you, the netmask, the default router IP address, and your provider's DNS servers' IP addresses, and you're done.

Seng, I also had similar difficulties establishing a broadband connection when first installing Fedora Core, both with FC2 and FC3. My solution to the problem was to re-install and have Anaconda (the installer) activate network services on boot up with DHCP enabled. This was a drastic solution, perhaps, but it worked.

If one is more conversant in linuxeese, editing one's init.d file should provide another avenue to accomplish the same result without going through re-installation. You might consult the documentation available on your machine in /usr/share/doc/initscripts-<version-number> (through a browser use URL file:///usr/share/doc/initscripts) and download the RedHat Linux 9.0 documentation manuals available at RedHat's website.