Re: Just some questions I had.

--- "Kyle Lagonegro (Student-Lagone37)"
<Lagone37@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> First off with these other disks, CD 3 and 4, I've
> commented on them and got a few responses, but I'm
> just curious as of what they are, and how do I use
> yum (or whatever I'm suppose to use) to put these
> programs on my computer.
>
> Another thing I've been reading about OGG files
> instead of using MP3's.  I have a bunch of CDs and I
> had them all on my computer, so when I decided to
> switch, instead of going through all the albums
> again, I made MP3 CDs, they take up less space and I
> could fit more CDs on one MP3 disk.  But since
> nothing on here supports MP3 (As of now) can I
> somehow easily convert the files to OGG and play
> them?  Or is there something I need to download or
> what?
 You can go to a web site for quick reference
http://home.gagme.com/greg/linux/fc3-tips.php.  Also,
it depends on your preferences you can also download
the rpms manually from any repository I use pbone.net
and http://heidelberg.freshrpms.net/.  You can install
the rpms via command line (terminal) as root user.
For instance to enable mp3 playback go to
http://heidelberg.freshrpms.net/rpm.html?id=400
and download xmms-mp3-1.2.10-9.1.1.fc3.fr.i386.rpm.
To install it
# rpm -ivh xmms-mp3-1.2.10-9.1.1.fc3.fr.i386.rpm
You can fire up xmms and try to play your mp3's they
should work.

> Thirdly, friends of mine constantly send me links to
> stupid movies, things like "Worst Weather Man Ever"
> or maybe a trailor to a new movie.  But when I
> download them they don't seem to play correctly,
> I've noted three kinds that don't work as of now.
> WMV (Which was obvious), MPG and AVI files all won't
> play, as of now I think Helix is the only video
> playing program I have, but again I don't know what
> is on those other disk.  Let me know if you guys
> come up with anything, I'm working tonight, but
> until them I'll be on AIM (OffedByAchilleus) and
> surfing the net trying to find answers to these
> problems.  Thank you so much.
>From the same site you can download mplayer
http://heidelberg.freshrpms.net/rpm.html?id=904
get the skins and the fonts.  You can also go another
place(http://cambuca.ldhs.cetuc.puc-rio.br/xine/) and
download xine.  Download what you need and follow the
directions given.  After you install the rpms and fix
dependencies if needed, you should be able to view
avi's, mpegs, mov, etc.  If you get stuck or something
does not work feel free to ask again/try again till it
works.

Cheers,

Antonio