Re: creating a sysv script - SOLVED

On Fri, 2005-01-28 at 08:45 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-01-28 at 07:51 +0000, Paul Howarth wrote:
> > On Thu, 2005-01-27 at 16:09 -0500, Scot L. Harris wrote:
>
> > It appears from this that your milter-greylist properly daemonizes
> > itself (i.e. it detaches itself from the terminal), unlike the milter
> > Craig is trying to use. So I expect this script won't work for him.
> >
> > It might actually be easier to patch the (perl) milter to do this, in
> > much the same way as the SPF milter does at
> > http://spf.pobox.com/sendmail-milter-spf-1.41.pl
> >
> > (the relevant code is near the bottom of the file)
> ----
> Yes, the script did not work for me because as you correctly
> anticipated, it didn't detach itself from the terminal. I see the
> comments in the linked script about where it detaches from the terminal
> and will look at the script that I am using.
>
> I obviously have 3 options now - modify the script I am using, or use
> the 1 you referenced (and obviously all the implementation changes) or
> the other one that Scott is referencing (and obviously all the
> implementation changes).
>
> I'm not adverse to other implementation and I generally look at these
> things as the opportunity to learn. The stuff that I am looking at from
> projects.puremagic.com uses mysql as the datastore and since I had mysql
> running on it, wasn't hard to implement. So I will venture forth into
> perl - with teeth clenched, perhaps for the learning experience - thanks
> - and will keep you both posted on final/success or retreat to other
> script.
----
ok to follow up and finish this thread -

After getting some quiet time aside, I rolled up my sleeves and was
going to invest some energy into perl code (clearly something I wasn't
born to do) and then got true inspiration and found the cvs version
which did offer option to fork as a daemon - no blood spilled.

Thanks guys

Craig