Re: New Install Idea

Matthew Miller wrote:

On Sat, Jan 29, 2005 at 06:39:47PM +0000, James Wilkinson wrote:

With the new Debian you down load 1 cd to start the install. The
install then downloads all needed packages from the internet, thus you
system already has the latest version of all software that it install.
No need to install then wait another hour while it updates your
system.

[...]

Fedora and Red Hat have had this for ages.
Download the boot.iso from your friendly Fedora mirror and burn it to CD
(or diskboot.img and write it to USB pen). Boot from it, and it should
give you the option of NFS, FTP or HTTP installs.

Except, it doesn't install the newest versions, unless you've gone out of your way to rebuild a repository containing them. Normally, you still have to do updates after the installation is complete.

Is there a good reason for that? it seems to me that, since it is going to fetch and install all those packages, it could very well use a 'yum install ...' and have everything up-to-date in the first try. Or am I missing something here?

--
Gustavo Seabra - Graduate Student