Re: New Install Idea

Robert Spangler wrote:

> With the new Debian you down load 1 cd to start the install.  The
> install then downloads all needed packages from the internet, thus you
> system already has the latest version of all software that it install.
> No need to install then wait another hour while it updates your
> system.

Fedora and Red Hat have had this for ages.

Download the boot.iso from your friendly Fedora mirror and burn it to CD
(or diskboot.img and write it to USB pen). Boot from it, and it should
give you the option of NFS, FTP or HTTP installs.

If you have a suitable Internet connection, it will then download the
RPMs and install them.  In practice, as far as I can tell, that means an
Ethernet connection to a local network which has a route to the
Internet. A separate ADSL router works well.

You will need to know the hostname or IP address of the server, and the
path to the files.

If you're not installing everything, this can be a lot faster than
downloading CDs, since you aren't downloading the packages you don't
need. But if the mirror is congested, you might still find BitTorrent
faster.

James.

--
James Wilkinson       | Never ask, "Oh, why were things so much better
Exeter    Devon    UK | in the old days?"