Re: Regarding MP3 support

On 01/28/2005 01:19:17 PM, Temlakos wrote:

If I might be so bold: the problem might be that he is /acquiring/ MP3
files from servers that won't release them as Ogg/Vorbis. It's all
very well for us to decide to rip our audio CD's to Ogg/Vorbis instead
of MP3. But that doesn't help the user who acquires MP3's that are
distributed by certain multimedia Webmasters who, AFAIK, are the
original owners or have themselves acquired full distribution rights.

That's excellent - Just now, since my last post to list, my Spanish homework required listening to an audio component - downloadable from the website of the textbook publisher.

This was required because the homework questions were pertaining to the audio dialogue.

Guess what compression format the Publisher uses.
mp3 support is definitely something many people _need_

Fortunately rpm.livna.org supplies that, so xmms / GStreamer can used - RealPlayer Linux isn't as bad as it use to be, but it still is not good for this sort of thing.