Re: Installing fedora at school

> >>One of the things that I would like to point out is that FC is a BETA or testing product.
> >
> > no. its not. while its is used as a basis for RHEL, the previous
> > redhat linux releases were too. so nothing has changed in that aspect
>
> It is pointed out on the Fedora site that FC is a testing release

Yeah, I've seen that somewhere in there.

I have a few thoughts which seem to want to be "freed" --

First, yes, if you use Fedora in a typical school environment, it would
be wise to find a couple of students to run ahead of the pack, and let
them install the updates first. That way the less motivated students
won't find quite so many excuses not to do the homework.

Second, FC2 is almost stable enough for me to turn my non-geek family
loose on. (They would be operating in Japanese, by the way. The support
for Japanese in FC2 is almost to the level of Mac OS X 10.0 on the
average, and in certain technical areas is a little ahead of Mac OS X
10.3. Open office is very useable now, though it needed special help
with the fonts last fall.) I mean to say, I would not have too many
reservations about installing FC2 in a humanities writing lab.

Third, especially for teaching computer science, I would not restrict my
labs to one OS, nor would I keep them with one distribution. Plenty of
"Free" OSses out there with perfectly useable licenses, and some
not-so-free alternatives, as well. Mac OS X is probably good for
studying a "correct" user interface. openBSD is one of several that are
useful for studying networking and security issues (different angle from
SELinux). Even MSWxxx would have its place in coursework on dealing with
malware.

And, if the school has budget that the bean counters insist should be
spent on the OS, there are plenty of ways to donate to the various
projects.

Of course, multiple OSses do mean a bit more work for the staff, but
with even just a few ambitious students to help it's not going to get
too overwhelming.

(And my opinions are worth what they cost.)

--
Joel Rees   <rees@xxxxxxxxxxx>
digitcom, inc.   株式会社デジコム