Re: Cdrecord not working - please help!

Robert Storey wrote:

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 21:53:58 -0500
Steven Pasternak <stevenp500@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I use FC2 kernel 2.6.5-1.358 and cdrecord 2.01.1-0.FC2.1 and cd
burning WON'T WORK!! I have /usr/bin/cdrecord set to 4711 and /dev/hdc
set to 666 and no luck! the md5sum checks out, and even burning as
root doesn't work! I went through 3 CD-Rs and all wasted. My burner
has a light that is green when reading, yellow for something else (I
think fixating) and red for burning. I have tried command line and
k3b. It will "start writing", be red for 1-2 seconds, then switch from
yellow to green many times. I try to kill it, but 1. it wont die 2. it
won't let me open my cdrom (even with eject, which freezes). Finally,
after a minute, it dies and gives me a worthless, dead,
partially-written-on cd-r. cdrecord says that it couldn't fixate disk.
Could it be cdrecord, permissions, or the kernel itself? Thanks!
-Steven

Dear Steven,

Don't know about FC2, but on FC3, you have to do...

up2date udev

...to get it working properly.

regards,
Robert

On FC2 that's irrelevant since the distro is not udev compliant.... I'd strongly suggest updating your kernel to *at least* version 2.6.7... FC2 was a bit jumpy on earlier versions of the kernel... And also a fully updated systems is always recommended, since many thing have been fixed since official release.