Re: [installation]dual boot with Mandrake for test

Le jeudi 27 Janvier 2005 11:51, Paul Howarth a écrit :
> Daniel Moyne wrote:
> > I have installed Fedora Core 3 on different partitions than those used by
> > Mandrake ; my fedora partitions are like this :
> > /dev/hdb1 "/"
> > /dev/hdb5 "/swap"
> > /dev/hdb7 "/usr/local"
> >
> > During the installation it was proposed to me to install GRUB on
> > "/dev/hda" where as far as I know I have my LILO installed to boot my
> > Mandrake ; the I had to select the only option left to me : no bootloader
> > ;
>
> Strange; I would have expected there to be an option to install grub on
> /dev/hdb1 too.
Paul there is found it !

>  > after this all was
> >
> > installed smoothly onto the hereabove mentioned partitions and hopefully
> > the job should not have been done in vain ; now which kind of entry do I
> > have to put inseret on my LILO bootloader to switch to my Fedora at boot
> > ? ; basically the way I installed my Fedora distribution is it usable ?
>
> It should be OK. I haven't used LILO for a long time myself so this may
> be wrong but I think what you need is a lilo.conf entry like this:
>
> image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667
> 	label=fc3
> 	initrd=/boot/initrd-2.6.9-1.667.img
> 	read-only
> 	root=/dev/hdb1
>
> You will of course need to make a new entry after you have upgraded your
> kernel. It would be a good idea to install grub on /dev/hdb1 and add a
> LILO entry to chain-load grub; I *think* the following lilo.conf entry
> may be what you need to do this, once you've installed grub.
>
> other=/dev/hdb1
> 	label=grub

Paul,
so far I have done this :
I have LILO on my MBR (hda) and GRUB on hdb1 now but I did this to be able to
boot my fedora from lilo (advised by a friend of mine) ; I created in
"/root"-Mandrake a directory called fedora in which I dumped linked file to
my GRUB-Fedora then in my LILO I added the following entry :
image=/boot/fedora/vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667
        label="fedora"
        root=/dev/hdb1
        initrd=/boot/fedora/initrd-2.6.9-1.667.img
        append="acpi=ht"
        read-only
and it works but looks crappy !

My LILO does not accept this entry :
other=/dev/hdb1
 	label=grub

Threre should be a trick to fall back into GRUB from LILO !

Now I have to move on with updates :
synaptic is not installed ! I dis this :
[root@azun ~]#  yum update

You have enabled checking of packages via GPG keys. This is a good thing.
However, you do not have any GPG public keys installed. You need to download
the keys for packages you wish to install and install them.
You can do that by running the command:
    rpm --import public.gpg.key
For more information contact your distribution or package provider.
[root@azun ~]# rpm --import public.gpg.key
erreur: public.gpg.key: échec de la lecture d'import.

hoo lala la ! ; I wish I had "GPG keys" not enabled ! ; what to do to get out
of those muddy waters !

My programme :
- install my kernel source for compilation,
- install my scsi tekram driver : I should be able to compile it separately
then dump the "*.o" file into "lib/modules/2.6.9-1.667/kernel/drivers/scsi" ;
I did that before with Mandrake
- check my scsi chain including scsi burner,
- install synaptic and clean out apps I do not want
- check all peripherals (ADSL, sound, USB printer, etc....)
Regards.

--
kernel 2.4                            / --- \