Re: [installation]dual boot with Mandrake for test

Daniel Moyne wrote:
I have installed Fedora Core 3 on different partitions than those used by Mandrake ; my fedora partitions are like this :
/dev/hdb1 "/"
/dev/hdb5 "/swap"
/dev/hdb7 "/usr/local"

During the installation it was proposed to me to install GRUB on "/dev/hda" where as far as I know I have my LILO installed to boot my Mandrake ; the I had to select the only option left to me : no bootloader ;

Strange; I would have expected there to be an option to install grub on /dev/hdb1 too.

> after this all was
installed smoothly onto the hereabove mentioned partitions and hopefully the job should not have been done in vain ; now which kind of entry do I have to put inseret on my LILO bootloader to switch to my Fedora at boot ? ; basically the way I installed my Fedora distribution is it usable ?

It should be OK. I haven't used LILO for a long time myself so this may be wrong but I think what you need is a lilo.conf entry like this:

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667
	label=fc3
	initrd=/boot/initrd-2.6.9-1.667.img
	read-only
	root=/dev/hdb1

You will of course need to make a new entry after you have upgraded your kernel. It would be a good idea to install grub on /dev/hdb1 and add a
LILO entry to chain-load grub; I *think* the following lilo.conf entry may be what you need to do this, once you've installed grub.

other=/dev/hdb1
	label=grub

Paul.