Re: GRUB will not be overwritten

Terry Polzin wrote:

On Thursday 27 January 2005 12:07, Krzysztof Kujawski wrote:

I think this is dengerous.
Can I install GRUB on floppy disk.

I wrote commands as you gave me:

chroot /mnt/sysimage

and

/sbin/grub-install /dev/hda3  -- linux partition

and I obtained message: `Installation finished. No error reported. This is the contents of the device map /boot/grub/device.map Check if this is correct or not. If any of the lines is incorrect fix it and re-run the script `grub-install'.

# this device map was generated by anaconda.
(fd0)   /dev/fd0
(hd0)   /dev/hda'

exit

exit

rebooting

and  I still see windows boot loader

Windows 2000 first
Windows 2000 se.

If you are rewriting the MBR wouldn't you be running the command as follows:

/sbin/grub-install /dev/hda

You want to rewrite the MBR not install grub into a partition, right?

How about the 'grub>' prompt I'm getting as mentioned in my earlier post in this thread? How do I rectify that?