Re: GNU tar installation?

On Wed, 2005-01-26 at 12:12 -0500, Aaron Gaudio wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-01-25 at 15:23 +0000, Paul Howarth wrote:
>
> > It's not hard to build your own RPM to update your system. I downloaded
> > the SRPM for 1.14 and the tarball for 1.15.1, updated the tar specfile
> > and a couple of the patches and then built a new RPM for version 1.15.1.
> > The result can be found at: http://www.city-fan.org/~paul/tar/
> >
> > It works for me but of course YMMV as I've done very little testing.
> > Most of the testsuite is run during the build though and the tests that
> > are run do pass.
>
> Rolling your own would be my recommendation in this case as well. Just
> try to customize the release tag in the spec file so you can
> differentiate between a home-rolled rpm and an official one.

Adding a release tag makes it *easier* to distinguish a home-rolled RPM
from an official one but you could still tell the difference anyway by
using the --info (-i) query in RPM and look at the packager information
(assuming you package your own RPMs properly...):

$ rpm -qip some.rpm
$ rpm -qi some-installed-package-name

Paul.
--