Re: How to change Default Email App?

This is in response to Dave's original post, which dropped out of my mailbox
but which I found on the list archives.

Dave asked, "Anybody know how to set KMail to come up when I click a mailto:
link, instead of Evolution? Is that a per-app process, or is there somewhere
I can just change one setting?"

I think it's a per-app thing.  Others have suggested changing the default mail
client in Preferences -> More Preferences -> Preferred Applications, but
Firefox (I assume you're talking about Firefox) doesn't look at this.
Firefox does its own thing.  Since Fedora seems to be GNOME-centric, they
assume that when you click on a mailto: link in Firefox, you want Evolution.

I fixed this on my machine by opening:

~/.mozilla/firefox/default.***/user.js

(*** may be different on your system -- on mine it's nq9)

and adding this line:

user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.mailto","/usr/bin/kmail");

You have to restart Firefox for it to take effect.  The trick should work
similarly in Mozilla (caveat: I don't use Mozilla, so I have no idea), but I
have no idea about other browsers.

Hope that helps and that I'm not *too* off-base.  If you weren't talking about
Firefox, I apologize for this waste of bandwidth.

--
Slainte,
Richard S. Crawford (mailto: rscrawford@xxxxxxxxxxxx)