I am looking to set up a web server

This is a pretty generic request at this point. I am running SuSE Personal 9.0 at home, but want to setup a web server to host my domain name. I am tired of depending on a third party to host my site, because of a few outages and I want more control.
I found this site http://atia.homelinux.net/~obsidian_fox/Linux_Box/, that talks about using a old box to host your own domain. I have a dual processor (Tomcat IV) that should be adequate for my site, and I thought I would try Fedora on it.
I don't have a lot of traffic, and only need email. My hosting is paid up through May of this year, so I have time to set it up right.
Does anyone have any experience with this that they would be willing to share? I have some knowledge of UNIX/Linux, but am no expert, that's for sure.
Just looking to get started. I figure I can download/burn the ISOs tonight.
I appreciate any help offered.