Re: [Update] Re: Problem with smartd [FC3]

On Mon, 2005-01-24 at 12:35 +0100, Alexander Apprich wrote:

> I might be wrong, but smartd should only monitor devices which are
> listed in /etc/smartd.conf

Thanks for the pointer. Having now read the man page for smartd on the
format of /etc/smartd.conf I think I've made the necessary changes.

> Other than that, what type of disk is your external HD? I have a SATA
> drive and my /etc/smartd.conf looks like this
>
> apprich@elmstreet schrott $ cat /etc/smartd.conf
> /dev/sda -H -m root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I considered simply removing the line for /dev/sda from the file, but
reading over the error in /var/log/messages decided to try modifying the
file to:

# cat /etc/smartd.conf
/dev/hda -H -m root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
/dev/sda -H -d removable -m root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

and that seems to have done the trick. Thanks for the pointers.

Best, Darren

D. D. Brierton            darren@xxxxxxxxxxx          www.dzr-web.com