Problem with smartd [FC3]

I've just exchanged the old IBM Travelmate drive in my Dell Inspiron
8200 for a Fujitsu drive:

Model: FUJITSU MHT2060AH

according to the hardware browser. However, now, whenever I boot up or
shutdown/reboot smartd fails to either start or stop. I'd be surprised
if a brand new drive like this doesn't support smart monitoring. How
should I proceed trying to find out why smartd fails to start?

I'm running FC3 FYI.

TIA, Darren

D. D. Brierton            darren@xxxxxxxxxxx          www.dzr-web.com