Re: Interner configuration on FC3

Matthew Saltzman wrote:

> Also check out "Applications -> System Tools -> Network Device Control"
> and "Applications -> System Settings -> Network".  This is a perfect
> application for network profiles.  There's a good intro at
> www.ces.clemson.edu/linux/network_profiles.shtml.

In my (limited) experience these applications do not work properly,
at least in KDE.
(Files that should be copied are linked.)

Also, it is not clear to me why there are applications
apparently doing the same job in 2 different places (as above).

And it is not clear whether one is altering an "interface" or a "profile".

The basic idea of profiles seems quite nice,
but its implementation leaves a lot to be desired.

Unfortunately NetworkManager, which presumably is meant to replace profiles,
seems even worse.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366