Re: FC3 ntpd fails to start

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 11:41:10 -0500, Rick Sutphin <sutphinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> NTPD fails to start with the following message:
> #/etc/init.d/ntpd start
> ntpd: Synchronizing with time server: FAILED
> Starting ntpd: ntpd: error while loading shared libraries: libm.so.6:
> failed to map segment from shared object: Permission denied
> FAILED

First, are you trying to start NTPD as root? You need to be root to start it.

Second, what version of glibc do you have? libm.so.6 is part of the
glibc package. I am running glibc-2.3.4.-2.fc3 and I have the library.

My guess is that it seems to find the library, but you are getting
permission denied, so I'm thinking it's the first solution, not the
second.

David