Re: Old GCC

On Saturday 22 January 2005 18:11, James Wilkinson wrote:
> Steven Pasternak wrote:
> > Is it possible to install an old gcc and use it like the package
> > 'compat-gcc' does? For example, I want gcc 3.4 for the things I compile
> > for me, but RPMs I build for ancient systems I want to be built with gcc
> > 2.7.x. Is it possible to like install 3.4 in /usr and 2.7 in /usr/gcc or
> > something like that? If so, how exactly? Thanks!
>
> Erm ... "ancient" is right. We're talking RHL 5.x and similar here?
>
> Thing is, compatibility is not simply a matter of which compiler you
> use. To begin with, I don't think Fedora rpm will build a package that
> the rpm on those systems will recognise. I suspect you're going to be
> updating a *lot* of basic files to get this to work.
>
> Wouldn't it be easier to install a suitably old version of Red Hat
> Linux, and produce the RPMs there?
>
> James.
>
> --
> James Wilkinson       | ... in our completely unscientific usability study,
> Exeter    Devon    UK | it took our subjects less than 10 seconds to locate
> E-mail address: james | the Solitaire game. We're not sure what else the
> @westexe.demon.co.uk  | corporate desktop needs. -- Michael Hall,
> Serverwatch
I was just using 2.7 as an example because it was the first thing to come to
mind. I just want to produce rpms that will work on my fedora system and my
friend's suse system. I'm not talking about complex RPMs either, nothing like
X. I just want to make something that doesn't gripe because I don't have
libsdc++ 3.4, but something more general that works on systems just a few
years old, maybe around 1 1/2 to 2 years.