Re: Old GCC

Steven Pasternak wrote:
> Is it possible to install an old gcc and use it like the package 'compat-gcc'
> does? For example, I want gcc 3.4 for the things I compile for me, but RPMs I
> build for ancient systems I want to be built with gcc 2.7.x. Is it possible
> to like install 3.4 in /usr and 2.7 in /usr/gcc or something like that? If
> so, how exactly? Thanks!

Erm ... "ancient" is right. We're talking RHL 5.x and similar here?

Thing is, compatibility is not simply a matter of which compiler you
use. To begin with, I don't think Fedora rpm will build a package that
the rpm on those systems will recognise. I suspect you're going to be
updating a *lot* of basic files to get this to work.

Wouldn't it be easier to install a suitably old version of Red Hat
Linux, and produce the RPMs there?

James.

--
James Wilkinson       | ... in our completely unscientific usability study,
Exeter    Devon    UK | it took our subjects less than 10 seconds to locate