Re: Text to voice -

On Sat, 2005-01-22 at 17:04 -0500, Michael Weiner wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-01-22 at 12:05 -0500, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> > Can anyone suggest an application to convert
> > text to voice audio to read e-mail, etc. aloud?
>
> Check out festival (http://www.cstr.ed.ac.uk/projects/festival/) along
> with VOCP (http://vocp.sourceforge.net/).
>
> HTH
> Michael Weiner

Is any one familiar with the windows program Zoom Text from AI Squared?
Is there something for Linux?  I set it up for my mother to use their
large TV as the screen, the program and video card allow for both a
regular monitor and TV screen.  I was going to contact them but I'm
tired of the "Linux?"  You're not worth it answer.  "We only DO windows"

If anyone is interested in a project like this post a reply and I will
see if the Federal Government has any grant money.  I'm not a
programmer, so I'm just a useless end user.  She gets books on tape from
the library of Congress with a machine to play them on, and all tapes
and postage to and from are free.  So an open source project may be
something they would be interested in.

OT - "if you don't like OT stuff then stop reading"  I just saw on the
news a chimp head robot, I was thinking with speech recognition and a
printer you could replace the people at the counter at most government
offices with chimp heads.  Ask your question and get a form, as that's
all you would get from a real person anyway.  Then all the employees can
get back to surfing the web, since no government employee will ever lose
their job :-)  No, I don't think every government employee is the same
as a disembodied chimp head, some of you work very hard, and thank you.
BUT, sometimes I'd rather take the chimp head.

Tim...