Re: DNS not resolving DHCP clients

> A. Rick Anderson Wrote:
>

>> It is my understanding that I should be able to enable DHCP and then
>> do a ping on the >hostname of a workstation with a dynamic IP
>> address, and if I am properly configured, the >hostname of the ping
>> should be able resolve.

<<< SNIP>>>

> DHCP is only there to provide IP addresses to your computers either
> through hard assigned addresses or dynamically from a pool. In
> conjunction with the DNS server, such as bind9.xx, and statements such
> as "ddns-update on;" in your dhcpd.conf file, your machine should be
> able to reolve both host names and hostname.domain.name strings
> without any issues or need to build up hard coded zone maps.
>
> If you can not resolve the host names then you may be having a similar
> problem that I have recently experienced, Jim Lawrence is seeing, and
> most likely a few others. Look back a few list postings to find our
> messages and see if your problem may fit into the same category.

>I've been following your thread.  It sounded to me that your thread
>deals with where the GUI tools are putting the configuration files.
>I've been manipulating mine by hand (vi), so I'm not sure how the two
>threads are related.

>ddns-updates on; According to the docs, it is supposed to be the
>default.  I have tried setting it explicitly, and I haven't seen any
>change in behavior.  (I.E. ping still can't find the dynamic
>workstation)  However, if I am modifying the wrong files, that would
>figure.  I think that is unlikely, since I removed all the files from my
>/var/named directory to eliminate just such a possibility of
>contention/confusion.

I am not sure if the files also need to have the existing static links to the /var/named to have named properly work. The links are default in the FC3 install. Your right too that the problem I am experiencing looks to be more of a file creation issue with the DNS config tool. I would at least try placing the static links back into place and see if that makes any difference. It may not...

One last thing which I know is kind of silly, I have had in the past one server in particular that would not accept any changes to the DNS server unless it had a reboot! Never figured out why...

Oh my! I just thought about another issue for you to consider; when you have manually edited the zone files did you take into consideration the updating of the serial number or maybe its called the timestamp? I thought I read in either the DNS HowTo or maybe off of ISC's bind9 webpage that the daemon would run but things would not function properly without updating the number.

Good luck with it. I need to go catch a train and go to work.

Bill