Re: SOLVED: Re: Named seems to have broken SSL

On Fri, 2005-01-21 at 01:38 -0500, A. Rick Anderson wrote:
> > For some reason, certain external routes, particularly https routes,
> > are being resolved to localhost.  Then my browsers are attempting to
> > open an SSL connection with localhost.  Since the only certificate
> > that local host has is the default certificate, that is the
> > certificate presented, and the communication fails, since local host
> > doesn't have the URI that the browser is attempting to load.
> >
> > So, my DNS configuration is now resolving external hosts locally,
> > but it still can't resolve local dynamic workstations.  <sigh>
> Would you believe that the fix was as simple as changing the order of
> the name servers in my /etc/resolve.conf file?  Why would it hang up
> on the first name server for some of the hosts, but not all of them?
> Too much freking magic!
>
> TBL: Don't list your local name server first in /etc/resolv.conf.
> -- A. Rick Anderson

If your local nameserver is supposed to be able to resolve external
names (this is usually the case) then your local nameserver is broken.
Moving it so it's not the first listed nameserver in /etc/resolv.conf
just means you won't notice the problem so much, not that it's gone
away.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxx>