From: Tony Dietrich [mailto:td@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, January 18, 2005 9:14 AM
To: David Nelson
Subject: Re: Trouble booting fresh Core 3 install

On Tuesday 18 Jan 2005 14:55, you wrote:

Thanks for replying Tony.  The waterfall happens directly and almost
immediately after the GRUB boot command.  Within a minute or two, it
freezes to a static multi-colored screen of gibberish.

I have seen reference to 'quiet' and rhgb' but where would those go/where
would I remove them?  They are not on the command line args in GRUB as
viewed by typing 'e'.

OK Sounds like there's some incompatibility between the hardware and FC.

Try adding one or more of the following to your command line when you boot from grub (by pressing 'e'):
noapic
noide
noapm

If neither of those work, try booting into single mode 'single'
and seeing if you can get into the machine.

Any successes/failures, come back to me with reports :p

Some possible approaches:

Boot to init level 3 instead of 5 and use command line tools to double check the monitor and graphics display settings adopted by Anaconda.
If that and other possible solutions suggested by others do not work, try installing FC-2 first and then upgrading to FC-3.

(Repeated efforts here to install FC-3 from scratch failed. The installation attempts would proceed to slightly further points on each install effort and then simply stop. [Three attempts were enough already!] Then, I backed up to FC-2 which installed without any problems. After FC-2 installed, I was able to upgrade that FC-2 install to FC-3 using the FC-3 installation isos.