long writes

Title: long writes

I'm not sure if this is the proper forum, but it seems like a good place to start.  I am maintaining a linux cluster of servers (to date around 350).  They have a partition configured as a RAID, the average performance on these servers is very good , but occasionally I will see a server go away for 30-40 seconds.  After researching it in the code I found that the culprit was a "write" function call.  When the call eventually completes, but I am writing under 100K of data so I have no idea why it would take that long to complete.  Has anyone else seen this type of behavior?  If not here, where would be the best forum for this type of issue.

Brian Stark