Re: Network Manager Strikes Again!!!!

On Tue, Jan 18, 2005 at 12:06:18PM +0000, Paul Howarth wrote:
> David Jansen wrote:
> >And the problem is even worse as I discovered on a machine that is
> >supposed to be a DNS server for a domain I manage: the NetworkManager
> >update pulled in caching-nameserver, and this overwrote
> >/var/named/chroot/etc/named.conf with one that only does caching and
> >localhost stuff.
>
> $ rpm -qip NetworkManager-0.3.3-1.cvs20050112.1.fc3.i386.rpm
> (snip)
> NetworkManager attempts to keep an active network connection available
> at all times.  It is intended only for the desktop use-case, and is not
> intended for usage on servers.
> (snip)

Great. But it is installed on every FC3 system, because it is in the
"Base" group of packages. No (easy) way to install without it. Yes, from
now on I will uninstall it immediately on all server-type machines, not
just switch it off with chkconfig like I had already done.

> I trust you were able to recover the overwritten files from your
> server's backups?
Yes, luckily I had backups here!

> >Packaging bug I think; such a server configuration file should not get
> >overwritten, caching-nameserver should have installed its own file as
> >named.conf.rpmnew or so.
>
> I'd agree with that.
>
> >Or maybe even a better suggestion: if NetworkManager needs to have a
> >local nameserver, why not have it require either caching-nameserver or
> >bind if bind is already installed?
>
> RPM's dependency system, unlike that of debian, does not provide an easy
> way of specifying alternative dependencies like this. It *could* be done
> using "virtual dependencies" but since really the requirement for
> caching-nameserver is a hack to work around a bug elsewhere, I would
> hope that it goes away in the not too distant future.

I hope so too!

David