Re: How to see number of pci-slots

Mitch,

Nifty Hat Mitch wrote:
On Mon, Jan 17, 2005 at 02:49:24PM +0100, Alexander Apprich wrote:

Phil Schaffner wrote:

On Mon, 2005-01-17 at 12:01 +0100, Alexander Apprich wrote:

Kam Leo wrote:

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 10:01:16 +0100, Alexander Apprich

Roger Grosswiler wrote:

Alexander Apprich schrieb:

Roger Grosswiler wrote:

I would like to see all pci-slots on a system via shell, not only the
used slots.

 root@elmstreet / # dmidecode | grep PCI | wc -l
 7

Well, Roger asked for number of PCI-Slots...

I am not sure that there is a way to do exactly what
I think the OP is asking.

Well, as he didn't say anything it must be what he asked for :-)

In some MB the difference between 1, 2, 3 and 4 PCI slots
is simply the presence of a connector.  i.e. The chip set
can support more than are wired on the PWB.

As I said, this is allways possible.

It is possible to count the bridge2pci interfaces but
empty pci slots cannot be seen as far as I know (jtag?).

   "Dmidecode reports information about your system's hardware as
   described in your system BIOS according to the SMBIOS/DMI standard
   (see a sample output). This information typically includes system
   manufacturer, model name, serial number, BIOS version, asset tag as
   well as a lot of other details of varying level of interest and
   reliability depending on the manufacturer. This will often include
   usage status for the CPU sockets, expansion slots (e.g. AGP, PCI,
   ISA) and memory module slots, and the list of I/O ports
   (e.g. serial, parallel, USB)."

Since dmidecode is getting info from the BIOS it is possible for the
vendor to know what the build list for the MB is and return the right
info, but as far as I know software cannot "see" empty slots.

Yep, it also possible that there is no info availible

apprich@sagnix apprich $ sudo /usr/local/bin/dmidecode
SYSID present.
RSD PTR found at 0xF6D60.
OEM PTLTD
PNP BIOS present.
apprich@sagnix apprich $ cat /etc/issue | head -n 1
Red Hat Linux release 9 (Shrike)

Note also that many MBs have multiple PCI busses.  Some are dedicated
for resources on the MB.  One or more will have connectors to plug
stuff into.

I agree that it may no work in 100% of all cases, but most of the time it works :-)

apprich@c7po methods $ cat pci_slots
#!/usr/local/bin/perl -w

use strict;
use warnings;

my $dmi  = "/usr/local/bin/dmidecode";
my $host = "$ENV{HOST}";
my $pcicount = 0;

open IN, "$dmi|" or die "Cannot execute $dmi\n";
foreach my $key (<IN>) {
        next if ! ( $key =~ m/^.*Type\: 32bit.*PCI.*$/i );
        $pcicount++
}

Found 6 PCI Slots on altels
Found 6 PCI Slots on aragorn
Found 6 PCI Slots on avalon
Found 5 PCI Slots on beastie
Found 6 PCI Slots on bellona
Found 6 PCI Slots on bizkit
Found 6 PCI Slots on blondel
Found 6 PCI Slots on cantor
Found 5 PCI Slots on deneb
Found 6 PCI Slots on earth
Found 5 PCI Slots on elise
Found 6 PCI Slots on elmstreet
Found 5 PCI Slots on gerda
Found 7 PCI Slots on ginga
Found 5 PCI Slots on hydra
Found 5 PCI Slots on inti
Found 5 PCI Slots on ivar
Found 6 PCI Slots on kai
Found 6 PCI Slots on legolas
Found 6 PCI Slots on magellan
Found 6 PCI Slots on marica
Found 6 PCI Slots on nebula
Found 6 PCI Slots on photonix
Found 6 PCI Slots on sindibad
Found 4 PCI Slots on terminalix
Found 6 PCI Slots on titan
Found 6 PCI Slots on titania
Found 6 PCI Slots on vanquish
Found 5 PCI Slots on wurzelausix

I checked them all and dmidecode was right in all cases.

Alex