Re: Disk Druid - Fedora flame #1

On Tuesday 18 Jan 2005 07:04, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Tuesday 18 January 2005 00:31, Matthew Miller wrote:
> >On Mon, Jan 17, 2005 at 11:20:56PM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> >> Excuse me!  Then why the hell didn't it use the existing ones
> >> already defined as /boot, /dos, /root, /home, /, /opt and /usr,
> >> but without labels as I don't use an initrd?  There was no room to
> >> fit anything else, the disk was fully utilized prior to DD ever
> >> looking at it.
> >
> >How is it supposed to psychically know this? Fdisk certainly
> > wouldn't have any such magic powers.
>
> Who said it did?  What I'm saying is that it totally ignored the
> existing fdisk setup partitions and carved out its own from whole
> cloth.
>
> >> Somehow I feel like I'm taking to a wall here, but the echos
> >> aren't related to what I'm saying.  And what I'm saying is that DD
> >> is dane bramaged beyond repair, take it away.
> >
> >You want to write a replacement? If it works better, I bet we can
> > get it accepted into anaconda for FC5 and maybe even FC4. Just
> > ranting that something should be ditched doesn't help unless
> > there's a viable replacement.
>
> There is, fdisk. Wworks just fine and doesn't give any surprises.
> What more can one ask for in a tool designed to do a job?
>
> >> Thats pure, green, still warm and as found behind the male of the
> >> bovine species.  If I want /dev/hda1 to be the boot partition,
> >> then I damned well want /dev/hda1 to be used as the /boot
> >> partition, I don't need it moved to /dev/hda5 and given several
> >> gigabytes at a location that may well be beyond the reach of the
> >> bios to boot from.
> >
> >/boot should automatically be forced as primary -- if it wasn't,
> > that's probably a bug that should be reported and fixed. Likewise,
> > it shouldn't be configured to grow beyond a few hundred megs. I'm
> > puzzled as to how this could happen unless a) there's a bug which
> > could be repaired or b) you actually changed the settings for the
> > /boot partition or c) you told it to make a /boot partition
> > manually, but didn't tell it any anything about any special
> > requirements.
>
> Ok, I'll compromise, on the next go-round (read that as FC4) that the
> man pages can be made readable, from the installers only screen since
> a ctl+_alt+F2 only gets you a blank screen at that point in the
> install.  We *know* how to make fdisk work, and it makes perfect
> sense in what it tells you, so why not make it available instead of
> making us all into windows idiots against our will?  theres never
> been a windows install around here, and never will be.
>
> >--
> >Matthew Miller           mattdm@xxxxxxxxxx
> > <http://www.mattdm.org/> Boston University Linux      ------>
> >          <http://linux.bu.edu/>
>
> --
Gene ...

Did you select 'Manually configure' and take a look at the options?

Just a query ... some of your answers made it sound like you hadn't gone down
that route.
The Auto option is dreadful, as IMHO it doesn't explain clearly enough to the
novice what it is about to do.  Fine for a novice who doesn't want to know
all about partitions, but that same novice needs to know that he's about to
wipe out his Windows installation too .. spelt out in LARGE EASY WORDS!

But the Manual option allows me to retain everything *I* want, and make sure
items are where I want them.  Only ever needed to drop to fdisk when I wanted
to do something weird.

--
Tony Dietrich