Re: Disk Druid - Fedora flame #1

On Mon, Jan 17, 2005 at 11:20:56PM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Excuse me!  Then why the hell didn't it use the existing ones already
> defined as /boot, /dos, /root, /home, /, /opt and /usr, but without
> labels as I don't use an initrd?  There was no room to fit anything
> else, the disk was fully utilized prior to DD ever looking at it.

How is it supposed to psychically know this? Fdisk certainly wouldn't have
any such magic powers.

> Somehow I feel like I'm taking to a wall here, but the echos aren't
> related to what I'm saying.  And what I'm saying is that DD is dane
> bramaged beyond repair, take it away.

You want to write a replacement? If it works better, I bet we can get it
accepted into anaconda for FC5 and maybe even FC4. Just ranting that
something should be ditched doesn't help unless there's a viable
replacement.

> Thats pure, green, still warm and as found behind the male of the
> bovine species.  If I want /dev/hda1 to be the boot partition, then I
> damned well want /dev/hda1 to be used as the /boot partition, I don't
> need it moved to /dev/hda5 and given several gigabytes at a location
> that may well be beyond the reach of the bios to boot from.

/boot should automatically be forced as primary -- if it wasn't, that's
probably a bug that should be reported and fixed. Likewise, it shouldn't be
configured to grow beyond a few hundred megs. I'm puzzled as to how this
could happen unless a) there's a bug which could be repaired or b) you
actually changed the settings for the /boot partition or c) you told it to
make a /boot partition manually, but didn't tell it any anything about any
special requirements.

--
Matthew Miller           mattdm@xxxxxxxxxx        <http://www.mattdm.org/>