Updated network install?

I just updated from FC2 -> FC3, and ended up with 55 broken packages --
which Synaptic "fixed" by deleting each and every one of them. I believe
that that the breakage was caused by the fact that the FC2 versions of
these packages had been upgraded to versions which were newer than their
corresponding versions in the FC3 distribution.

Wishing to avoid similar problems when upgrading my other machines, I
wonder what would happen if I did a network install from a repository in
which I had replaced the back-level FC3 packages with the latest versions?

Is anaconda aware of specific versions in its package list? If so, how can
I find and modify that list?

-- Chuck