Re: Disk Druid - Fedora flame #1

On Mon, 2005-01-17 at 20:03 -0700, James McKenzie wrote:
> Jeff Vian wrote:

> >>I have no idea which Disk Druid you're using but it obviously isn't
> >>the one shipped with Fedora's installation program.
>

> > Gene is not the only one to have problems.
> > I have had it rearrange partitions, but NEVER on a prepartitioned disk
> > which is what you used, and what is given by using fdisk to create the
> > partition before defining the mount points with disk druid.
>
> I tossed all partitions except swap, /ORACLE and /ORACLE/DATA when I
> installed FC3.  All of the partitions that I added back appeared where I
> expected them.  Oh, I do have four Windows FAT32 partitions.

So let me get this straight,  You have at least 6 psrtitons already
defined and you are basically recreating partitions where others already
were.  It is no wonder they did not get moved by the capriciousness of
DD.  It had to fit them around the other pre-existing partitons.

> > On an unpartitioned disk it chooses where the partition goes.  If there
> > are more than one disk it by default chooses both (or all) disks as the
> > possible targets.  If you create say 5 partitons and you build them in
> > the order you want them placed IT chooses the order (and drive) it feels
> > is best for creating them.  So what you thought was hda2 may actually
> > become hdb3, etc.
> >
> This may be desirable.  However, it can and does become frustrating.
>

> > Gene's comment was related to creating partitions, not reinstalling on
> > existing partitions.
> >
> So was mine.
>
> James McKenzie

I did not reply to your post, James, I replied to Emmanuel's.
And yes it is very frustrating to have things moved.  I as yet see no
benefit from having the tool decide what I want.