Re: Why do I need mDNSResponder/howl?

The broadcast storm was coming from my hardware firewall/router, a D-Link box. Apparently it didn't like mDNSResponder. So technically it wasn't Fedora... but then again, it was. Because I didn't have the problem before the service I didn't need was automatically installed and turned on. :-)

Paul Howarth wrote:

Randy wrote:

It took me two days to figure out why my firewall began broadcasting packets so fast that the network came to a halt, EVERY time I rebooted my new linux server. mDNSResponder was the problem. My network was ALREADY set up with DNS, DHCP, etc. Everything was ALREADY automatic. In fact, the new fedora box WAS the DHCP and DNS server. It had a fixed IP. Why was it running mDNSResponder? For me, this wasn't "plug & play". It was "What the @^%#@! is going on with the router! It can't be the Fedora server, because Fedora distributions have never caused problems!"

Strange; I have a Fedora box running DHCP, DNS etc. and didn't see a broadcast storm (though I did turn off mDNSResponder soon after installation as an unneeded service). I'd have though these things would be designed to co-exist peacefully with the ubiqitous DHCP etc.

Paul.