Re: linux isps -- Home Firewall Friendly

On Mon, 2005-01-17 at 15:31, Nifty Hat Mitch wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 04, 2005 at 04:10:45PM -0600, Langer, Christian wrote:
>
> > Are there any national isps that are friendly to linux?
>
> Perhaps a more critical question is are there
> Home Firewall Friendly ISPs out there.
>
> If you call and ask about a small Cisco, Netgear, ....
> Firewall/ NAT box do they give you any good answers.

About the only issue I have seen that affects using a
NAT/router/firewall is when the ISP registers the MAC address of the
devices used on the connection.  And most of the simple
NAT/router/firewalls have a fix for this, you can assign the MAC address
the NAT/router/firewall uses.

I used this trick recently for a user in Louisville using a netgear
device.  Worked great.

As such it is not really worth the time to ask the ISP if they would
help installing such a device.

> IMO, It is near criminal to connect WindowZ directly to the internet.
> The same may be true of any OS depending on the current state of bugs
> and exploits.

Agreed!  :)

--
Scot L. Harris
webid@xxxxxxxxxx

You will engage in a profitable business activity.