Re: FC3: Mixer not saving volume values

On Sunday 16 Jan 2005 18:56, Samuel Díaz García wrote:
> I have been looking for it with chkconfig and no results about it
> (chkconfig --list | grep alsa).
>
> I have been executed 'alsactl store', restarted and the mixer values are
> "reseted", I needed to run 'alsactl restore' then and the values are
> restored (the save/restore works fine).
>
> This is working, but ... Where I need to add the 'alsactl store' to save
> the status before shutdown automaticaly? and where I need to add the
> 'alsactl restore'?
>
> Thanks
>
>     Samuel Díaz García
>      Director Gerente
> ArcosCom Wireless, S.L.L.
>
> mailto:samueldg@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> http://www.arcoscom.com
> móvil: 651 93 72 48
> tlfn/fax: 956 70 13 15
>
> James Wilkinson wrote:
> > Michael A. Peters wrote:
> >>It could be an app resetting them.
> >>I've had apps that reset the oss/alsa mixer setting before. PITA.
> >>
> >>Also - I believe there is a file that if present, the boot scripts will
> >>use to set the mixer settings. Maybe it's present on your system - I
> >>don't recall what it is, but it's probably specified in the boot
> >>scripts.
> >
> > This should be handled by the alsa service. Make sure it's configured.
> >
> > The commands it uses are
> > /usr/sbin/alsactl store
> > to save the volume levels and
> > /usr/sbin/alsactl restore
> > to restore them.
> >
> > Hope this helps,
> >
> > James.
I don't think there IS a script available on the system ... but it isn't hard
to do ..... alsa in FC2 at least is part of the kernel now isn't it?, not a
service.
(Just peeked in my /etc/init.d directory, no alsa or sound script.)

The best way to do this would be to write a quick script based on those
already in the /etc/init.d directory, setting the default chkconfig values at
the top of the script so the 'start' is run last, and the 'stop' is run first
as the system shuts down/switches levels.
Then you can handle this as a service, via system-config-services or via
chkconfig.
--
Tony Dietrich