Re: Network: moving between office (static ip) and home (ADSL)

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 10:47:50 -0500, Charles E Taylor IV
<tomalek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 11:59:44 +0800
> Shi-Ming Chen <shiming.chen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > I have a notebook and take it with me between office and home.
> > The network connection is static ip address at office and ADSL with a
> > dhcp server at home.  I must use system-config-network to change
> > between static ip address and dhcp, in addition to dns server.
>
> > Any suggestions?
> > Thanks.
>
> here's something that might work.  Go into /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts
> , and copy the ifcfg-eth0 script to ifcfg-homenetwork.  Then, use
> system-config-network to set up "homenetwork" for your home network and
> set up the "eth0" device for work.  When you're at woek, you should be
> able to type "ifup eth0", and when you're at home, "ifup homenetwork"
> should bring up the network card with the right settings.  You might also
> want to make check the "allow users to actvate/deactivate" and uncheck
> "activate device when computer starts" for both of these.
>
> I have the opposite situation from you - my home network uses fixed IPs,
> while work uses DHCP.
>
> --

I have personally tried this as well, where my work and home are using
dhcp, switching profiles and always have to reboot for changes to take
affect. A simple restart of the network doesn't do it in my case.
Seems like alot of work to be switching around from 1 palce to the
next.

When I'm feeling down, I like to whistle.
It makes the neighbor's dog run to the end of his chain and gag himself.
Registered Linux User: #376813

jim lawrence