Re: Network: moving between office (static ip) and home (ADSL)

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 11:59:44 +0800
Shi-Ming Chen <shiming.chen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have a notebook and take it with me between office and home.
> The network connection is static ip address at office and ADSL with a
> dhcp server at home.  I must use system-config-network to change
> between static ip address and dhcp, in addition to dns server.

> Any suggestions?
> Thanks.

here's something that might work.  Go into /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts
, and copy the ifcfg-eth0 script to ifcfg-homenetwork.  Then, use
system-config-network to set up "homenetwork" for your home network and
set up the "eth0" device for work.  When you're at woek, you should be
able to type "ifup eth0", and when you're at home, "ifup homenetwork"
should bring up the network card with the right settings.  You might also
want to make check the "allow users to actvate/deactivate" and uncheck
"activate device when computer starts" for both of these.

I have the opposite situation from you - my home network uses fixed IPs,
while work uses DHCP.

*  Charles Taylor <tomalek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
*  Chemistry teacher, Linux enthusiast!
*  Web: http://home.mindspring.com/~charletiv/