Re: No permission to run glxgears under nvidia

On Fri, Jan 14, 2005 at 06:25:43PM -0800, Dale wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 15, 2005 at 01:06:30AM +0100, Alexander Volovics wrote:
> > I installed the nvidia-6629 driver for x86_64 on a amd64 pc today
> > using the nvidia installer and put the /dev/nvidia* devices in
> > /etc/udev/devices/ correctly.

> > X starts up fine and everything is OK but when I try to run glxgears
> > I get the well known message:

> >  Error: Could not open /dev/nvidiactl because the permissions
> >  are too resticitive.  Please see the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
> >  section of /usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0/README for steps
> >  to correct.

> > Is the 'solution' suggested in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS section
> > of the nvidia README still relevant in the udev era.
> > (namely: remove line from /etc/security/console.perms starting with <dri>).
> > Or does this entail some other changes elsewhere when using udev.

> The udev-era solution that I used (as I didn't mind the security
> implication of world access on this particular system) was to create
> a local file (thereby not conflicting with distributed files) called:

>     /etc/udev/permissions.d/50-local.permissions

> which contains the single line:

> nvidia*:root:root:0666

Thanks for the reply but going by the udev documentation and looking
at the '50-udev.permissions' file which already contains a stanza
for 'nvidia*', '3dfx*' and 'dri/*' (but with permissions:0660) I had
already tried this (with permissions:0666).

However this does not work! I still get the segfault when trying to
run 'glxgears' or 'tux' and the message:
 Error: Could not open /dev/nvidiactl because the permissions
 are too resticitive.  Please see the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
 section of /usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0/README for steps
 to correct.

I have also tried creating a 'video' group and adding myself to it
and then trying with 'nvidia*:root:video:0666' but this also did not
work.

So obviously the "permissions" have to be changed somewhere else
and I have no clue how to do it.

Does the simple one line '50-local.permissions' file work for you.
Can you run glxgears and tux?

Alexander