Re: ATI mach64 resolution?

Les Mikesell wrote:
I'm actually trying to run at 16 bit depth, but looking at the
log I notice that it is only seeing 2MB instead of 4MB.  I may
have been mistaken about this box but I'm pretty sure I've
seen the same thing happen on other machines, even some that
I know have 8MB and windows will run at 1600x1280.  These are
various older Dell boxes with ATI chips on the motherboard.
What's the best way to find the real size of the video RAM?
Is the built-in probe usually correct now?

Up to this day, built-in probe was always correct for me. Do you have one of those motherboards where you can set amount of RAM to be used by graphics card in BIOS? You might try editing xorg.conf as suggested previously and specify amount of RAM directly, if you are confident that it was probed incorrectly. The worst thing that can happen (if you really have only 2 megs of RAM) is that X server will not work properly, or it will crash (in which case, just edit config file again).

--
Aleksandar Milivojevic <amilivojevic@xxxxxx>    Pollard Banknote Limited