Re: FC3 - I'm anything but dissapointed

Richard S. Crawford wrote:

I'm enthralled with FC3 as well. I did an upgrade from FC2 instead of a clean install, and I haven't encountered any major issues.

FC3 is a forward looking release. The aggravations from when it was released and the condition that it is in post updates makes it a good working release.

For my laptop:
The only remaining major problem relate to switching to a virtual terminal or trying to launch tuxracer for a test. This locks up the computer. I have a radeon video card.

For the desktop:
Dual display configuration problems.

For my expermental server:
Everything seems to work fairly well and seems stable. Samba, ftp, http all seem to work. The computer works reliably as a desktop also. Tux works great, as well as other applications.

I also upgraded KDE to 3.3.2 from the default install (using yum and the kde-redhat project). I used to be a GNOME guy, but after trying KDE on FC3, I'll probably never go back. Installing my DVD player was painless, I've had no printing problems and no sound problems (once I got the audio cable from the CD drive hooked up to the right jack on the soundcard), and I've experienced absolutely no USB problems.

I'm still using gnome. KDE does look acceptable.

The problems I do have are
application specific -- gnomad2 doesn't do everything that I would like, so I still hook my Zen Nomad MP3 player up to my Windows box from time to time, for example. Otherwise, no problems.

I am pretty much stuck with resorting to MS to load my Nomad also. There was a KDE based application for the Jukebox. I tried to compile the source once, but it failed to compile.
Regarding gnomad, I installed and tested it for communicating with my Nomad, it locked up when retrieving the files on the Jukebox. I stopped using it shortly thereafter.
Recently, I had the disk crash in the box and needed to replace the hard disk and reload the OS via the USB ports. I'm not sure if gnomad damaged the hard drive, corrupted the filesystem or the drive simply failed. I was able to recover the drive into woring order, but replaced it anyway, to be safer.
I wish that there was a vendor provided program to load and manage the jukebox through linux. Hopefully, there will be a vendor provided program sometime for this.

Jim