Re: boot strangeness - FC2 scsi

On Thu, 2005-01-13 at 19:50 -0600, akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> WE are attempting to configure a SCSI machine by loading a running
> system from a machine with only ide drives. Of course we have changed
> the grub to access SCSI drives. Also changed the fstab. The machine is
> a dual processor machine which is all SCSI.
>
> Now the machine when booting displays the FC2 grub choice screen.
> After the choice is made the kernel is accessed but then the machine
> goes into what seems to be an indefinite hang. But actually, after a
> half hour or an hour (we have not measured this accurately since it
> took so long) the machine continues its boot. Now in looking at the
> system files on the machine we find the strange fact that the /initrd
> file still seems to contain the files of the ram disk. It is not
> emptied as it should have been.
>
> The system logs shows nothing that indicates delay except the system
> keeps searching for ide drives that don't exist.
> We have done this process copying the system in this way several times
> before with earlier versions of linux but not we can't make it work.
>
> Can any one suggest anyplace we can look to identify the problem?
> --
> I am aware of posts by others of slow booting of FC3 but nothing seems
> to fit this situation.
> Aaron Konstam

Aaron,

Did you make a new initrd RAM disk image containing the SCSI driver?
You'll need to tell grub the name of the new initrd image if you called
it something different from the original.  You'll need a

        alias scsi_hostadapter dddddddddddd

        Where dddddddddddd is the name of your scsi driver.

entry in your /etc/modprobe.conf or /etc/modules.conf whichever FC2
uses, the latter I think, before you run mkinitrd.

Bob...