Re: Nervious wannabe new user asks for advice.

On Thursday 13 Jan 2005 20:00, Scot L. Harris wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-01-13 at 13:46, Richard S. Crawford wrote:
> > Maxim Eremeev said:
> > > BTW, why not just give it a try by dual boot installation (I mean
> > > Windows and Fedora)?
> >
> > Dual-booting Windows and FC3 is notoriously problematic.  The user would
> > do well to read up on the geometry issues that come up before doing a
> > dual-boot; as far as I know, the bug is still present in FC3.
>
> Personally I believe dual booting causes more problems for the user than
> it is really worth.  Kind of like trying to learn to swim by sticking
> just one foot in the water.  Just can't do it.

Each have their own reasons for dual-booting.  I have a favorite MMRPG I relax
with that won't run under any OS other than WinXX, not even in VMWare.

> People that want to convert over to using linux would be better served
> by first evaluating just what they use the computer for.  For example:
> web browsing (java, flash, etc), writing documents (word, spread
> sheets), palm pilots synching, mp3 playing, video editing, whatever.
> Make as complete a list as possible.  Then do some research (google) to
> find equivalent capabilities in native linux applications.

Absolutely.  In a business enviroment, unless you are in a mixed development
environment, you can get as good or better with Linux.  And normally with a
lower TOC, although in a large organisation Linux techs normally cost more
than WinXX.  Of course M$ say this is because no-one want to do Linux
work!!!, but I hope its because Linux techs actually know how to meld the
software and the hardware together ... M$ techs just know how to get the best
out of a one sized fits all OS sitting uncomfortably onto of the hardware.

> Armed with that list load a system with linux and start working at
> getting all those same capabilities working that you had under windows.
>
> I loaded FC2 on my laptop which used to have windows 2000 on it.  Wiped
> it clean for FC2.  At present I have all the same functionality plus
> some that I did under windows 2000 on my laptop.
>
> Doing duel boot or even using wine just holds back the user IMHO and can
> cause more questions and problems than it is worth.

Oh I don't know .. even in the business world there are reasons to run wine
occasionally.  In my reckoning thats only half-traitorous.  There ARE some
simple killer apps in the Win world that *I* dont have the knowledge or time
to port, and who's copyright holders don't want to port.
... but for sheer safety, useability and depth, Linux wins ..... when was the
last time anyone ran a Linux app on Windows?  The mere fact that some Windows
apps CAN run under Linux is the cruncher.

--
Tony Dietrich